Tuesday, February 17, 2009

OSCAR(R)-Nominated Composers Discuss the Music Behind the Movies on Morning Becomes Eclectic With Jason Bentley

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Feb. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- KCRW Music Director Jason Bentley uncovered compelling stories behind the music for some of the year's most highly acclaimed films in conversations with top composers on Morning Becomes Eclectic. He hosted famed composers A.R. Rahman, Alexandre Desplat, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, and James Newton Howard. Transcripts are available at KCRW.com/oscars and highlights are below:

Slumdog Millionaire composer A.R. Rahman discusses his approach to creating scores that are both perfect for film and listenable on their own.

  • Rahman on his collaboration with M.I.A and Director Danny Boyle: "Danny wanted me to collaborate with her...She is like a tank of ideas."
  • On Boyle: "What I liked was he captured the spirit of Mumbai, which is undying. It was great."

Composer Alexandre Desplatwent backwards and forwards to capture the magical story of life and love in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

  • On Director David Fincher: "David Fincher is a director who has a very precise point of view on every aspect of his art history and the music is one of them...he didn't want the score to be overdramatic, overwhelming to the audience."
  • On Benjamin Button's Theme: "This whole idea of time reversing was ticking in my head and I just suggested to David that I could maybe try and find a tune, a little pattern, a little hook that could be played forwards and backwards."

Milk Composer Danny Elfmantells Jason he considers the title character an American hero and jumped at the chance to work with Director Gus Van Sant again.

  • On Van Sant: "Getting into any project with Gus means I'm going to go in a lot of different directions and mess around with a lot of different ideas. With another director, that can be very frustrating. Trying to hone in on 'What do you want for this movie?' With Gus it's more of a process of fun experimentation."
  • On his creative process: "I don't do research going into a movie. I think the least I know the better. I like to forget that I've even read the script, even though I do read the script because the more prepared I am in the beginning, the more it sends me down a specific direction which may not be the right direction...So I started with a real blank slate other than -- don't mess this up. Except I didn't use the word mess, but we're live on the air."

Find full transcripts and other conversations with OSCAR(R) nominees appearing on other KCRW programs like The Treatment, Guest DJ Project and more here: http://www.kcrw.com

The 81st Academy Awards(R) ceremony airs on February 22.

Santa Monica-based KCRW is National Public Radio's flagship station for Southern California.